Courtesy of Allergic Living and Chef Simon Clarke
Makes 6 servings.
Gluten-free and dairy-free
1 ⁄ 4 cup olive oil
2 cups onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, grated
2 lbs ground beef
1 14 oz can kidney beans
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp canned chipotle peppers, puréed (make sure it's gluten-free)
1 ⁄ 4 cup gluten-free, dairy-free dark chocolate, grated
1. Pre-heat oven to 375º. To make chili, heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions, celery and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes.
2. Add carrots and beef. Continue to cook, 6-8 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except chocolate. Bring to a boil, simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add grated chocolate to chili, stir until it’s melted.
Serve hot chili with cornbread.
11 ⁄ 4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
2⁄ 3 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 ⁄ 2 cup sunflower oil
2 eggs or 2x egg replacer
11 ⁄ 2 cup buttermilk (For dairy-free: use soy milk soured with 2-3 tsp of lemon juice)
1 cup red pepper, finely diced
2 jalapeño peppers, de-seeded, minced
1. Grease a 5x9-inch loaf pan. Dust lightly with gluten-free flour.
2. In a large bowl, stir together gluten-free flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, buttermilk or substitute, red pepper and jalapeño. Then add to flour mixture; stir to combine.
4. Place dough into loaf pan and bake 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and slice.