Gluten-Free Summer Block Party
- 3 eggplants
- 1 cup salt (yes, sounds crazy but keep reading)
- 1 jar tomato sauce (You can spice it up with olive, capers, basil, chili, red wine and balsamic)
- 2 boxes Artisan Nut Thins (Any variety, crushed in food processor)
- 1/2 cup Go Veggie! Parmesan Cheese
- 10 slices Go Veggie! Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- Non-stick pan spray
- Start by cutting the eggplant into long thin slices. (I used a micro planner, which helped keep the pieces even.) Coat each piece heavily with salt. Let the salted eggplant sit salted for 30 – 60 minutes. (The salt pulls some of the water out of the eggplant and prevents it from turning brown and soft.)
- While eggplant sits, start making the coating. Place all the cracker crumbs in a bowl and mix with Parmesan cheese, garlic and oregano.
- Once the eggplant is done, rinse it well under the sink to remove salt. Coat each piece with cracker crumb mix and place back on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake the coated eggplant for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Then, remove the eggplant and layer in a casserole dish, alternating layers of eggplant and tomato sauce. Make sure to coat the top layer well with sauce.
- Last, break up cheese and cover the top. Spray the top with non-stick spray and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Cook uncovered for the first half and then cover with tin foil for the last 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Be sure to enter the Gluten-Free Giveaway for your chance to win products from Go Veggie! and Blue Diamond.
Have you or your family members been diagnosed?
Complete our celiac disease symptoms checklist today to find out if you are at risk of having celiac disease / gluten intolerance. We can help improve the quality of your life!
Join our monthly newsletter to receive news, updates, and tips for healthy gluten-free living and information about celiac disease. Sign-up for the monthly e-mail newsletter