Gluten-Free Summer Block Party
- 3 eggplants
- 1 cup salt (yes, sounds crazy but keep reading)
- 1 jar tomato sauce (You can spice it up with olive, capers, basil, chili, red wine and balsamic)
- 2 boxes Artisan Nut Thins (Any variety, crushed in food processor)
- 1/2 cup Go Veggie! Parmesan Cheese
- 10 slices Go Veggie! Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- Non-stick pan spray
- Start by cutting the eggplant into long thin slices. (I used a micro planner, which helped keep the pieces even.) Coat each piece heavily with salt. Let the salted eggplant sit salted for 30 – 60 minutes. (The salt pulls some of the water out of the eggplant and prevents it from turning brown and soft.)
- While eggplant sits, start making the coating. Place all the cracker crumbs in a bowl and mix with Parmesan cheese, garlic and oregano.
- Once the eggplant is done, rinse it well under the sink to remove salt. Coat each piece with cracker crumb mix and place back on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake the coated eggplant for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Then, remove the eggplant and layer in a casserole dish, alternating layers of eggplant and tomato sauce. Make sure to coat the top layer well with sauce.
- Last, break up cheese and cover the top. Spray the top with non-stick spray and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Cook uncovered for the first half and then cover with tin foil for the last 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Be sure to enter the Gluten-Free Giveaway for your chance to win products from Go Veggie! and Blue Diamond.
- Have you or your family members been diagnosed?
Complete our celiac disease symptoms checklist today to find out if you are at risk of having celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity ('gluten sensitivity'). We can help improve your quality of life!
- Stay Informed!
Join our monthly newsletter to receive news, updates, and tips for healthy gluten-free living and information about celiac disease. Sign-up for the monthly e-mail newsletter