From Jackie Ourman of C.A.F.E.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more, if needed
- 1 small leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp madras curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 bag lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 cups unsalted gluten-free vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste (roughly 1½ tsp.)
- Place 5 qt. Dutch oven or large pot over medium low heat and cover with enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Once heated, add leek, carrot and garlic and sauté, stirring regularly, making sure not to brown the vegetables, for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add curry and cumin and toss to coat. Sautee for an additional 1-2 minutes, until spices begin to toast and become aromatic.
- Add lentils, vegetable stock, 2 cups of water and salt.
- Raise heat to high and bring to a boil before covering and lowering to simmer for about 30 minutes until lentils are cooked, but not too soft. Add water, as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.