White Chocolate Scallops with Cauliflower Puree
By Edgar Steele,
NFCA Chef Spokesperson
- 6 oz. fresh scallops
- Cocoa butter for dusting
- 8 oz cauliflower
- 3 qts. salted water
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream, heated
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley
- Salt to taste
- Trim the tips of the cauliflower to yield ¼ cup cauliflower florets. In a small saucepot, heat salted water to a boil. Place the cauliflower in the water and boil just until soft, about 3 minutes. Drain the water and add the cooked cauliflower directly into a blender. Add 2 tablespoons of the hot cream and the butter, and puree on high speed until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the white chocolate to the remaining cream and stir until it is completely melted and keep this mixture hot.
- Heat the oil in a small sauté pan, and sauté the cauliflower florets until golden brown. Season them with salt.
- Dust the scallops in the cocoa butter, season them with salt and heat a sauté pan to medium high heat. Add the scallops to the pan, and allow them to cook to a golden color on both sides.
- Place a few dollops of the cauliflower puree onto a plate. Place the seared scallops on top of the puree. Arrange the sautéed cauliflower in a scattered fashion around the scallops. Drizzle a small amount of the white chocolate over the plate. To finish, sprinkle the parsley over the scallops and serve hot.