This recipe earned one of four First Place prizes in NFCA's 2011 "Holiday Dips & Dishes" Gluten-Free Recipe Contest, sponsored by Crunchmaster.
From Peter Halferty of Corpus Christi, TX
- 2/3 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/3 cup garfava flour,
- 1/3 cup crushed Crunchmaster Whole Grain crackers
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- Jam (for spreading)
1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin.
2. Whisk together garbanzo bean flour, garfava flour, Crunchmaster crackers, tapioca starch, palm sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until combined and a little frothy. Whisk in the milk and, while whisking, add the cooled butter. Add the crunchy peanut butter in one addition and whisk until incorporated.
4. Put the peanuts and palm sugar in a food processor and whirl until the peanuts are coarsely chopped. (If you don’t have a food processor, chop them with a knife or put them in a sturdy Ziploc bag and crush them with the bottom of a flat frying pan. Put the peanuts in a bowl and toss with the palm sugar.) Set aside.
5. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Don’t over-mix the batter. Using a standard ice cream scoop, put the dough into the prepared muffin tin.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating muffin tin halfway through. Cool in the pan for several minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Spread with jam and enjoy!