This recipe earned one of four First Place prizes in NFCA's 2011 "Holiday Dips & Dishes" Gluten-Free Recipe Contest, sponsored by Crunchmaster.
From Elizabeth Mwanga of Queens Village, NY
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- ½ cup finely ground Crunchmaster Multigrain Crackers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup of plain tomato sauce*
- 1 tbsp chile in adobo sauce*
- 1 chile in adobo, finely diced*
- Salt, pepper to taste
1/2 cup salsa (non-chunky works best)*
1 tsp chile in adobo sauce*
1/2 tbsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Lightly grease a large baking sheet with 1 tsp of oil. Heat 3 tsp of olive oil in a sauté pan and cook onion, garlic, red and green pepper over a medium flame until soft, for approximately 3 minutes. Turn off heat and remove pan from stove; allow to cool for 5 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the ground turkey, egg, ground crackers, tomato sauce, chile, chile sauce, frozen corn, cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, prepare the topping by stirring together all of the ingredients.
5. Add the sautéed veggies to the turkey mixture and combine well.
6. Transfer the turkey mixture onto the sheet pan and form into a rectangular loaf. Pour the glaze over the top and spread evenly.
7. Place a sheet of aluminum foil loosely over the top of the meatloaf and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, slice and serve.
* Note: Always check the label to ensure ingredients are gluten-free.