From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
12 oz. of your favorite gluten-free sausage, hamburger meat or ground poultry.
Onion and garlic powder (OR 1 medium onion, 2 peeled and crushed cloves of garlic and 1 red or green pepper, finely chopped)
2 cups of homemade tomato sauce
6 oz. (about ½ a carton) of mushrooms, cleaned and quartered (add more or less according to your preferences)
2 tbsp gluten-free ketchup
8 oz. package of gluten-free ziti or penne, cooked and drained.
4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 of 8 oz. brick) – lite is ok
1 cup sour cream (8 oz. carton) - lite is ok (or use low fat yogurt)
1 cup ricotta cheese - lite is ok
1 cup mozzarella cheese - lite is ok
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown meat in pan and add onion and garlic powder (or onion, garlic and pepper). If using turkey, you may need to add 2-4 tbsp olive oil so meat doesn’t stick as you brown it.
3. Add mushrooms, tomato sauce, and ketchup. You can add chopped raw carrots or a can of sweet corn to extend meat.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, sour cream and ricotta. Stir in cooked, drained pasta.
6. In a 9”x13” pan, layer half of the cooked meat sauce, cheesy pasta, meat sauce and finish with last half of pasta. Sprinkle top with mozzarella.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese is light golden brown and sauce is bubbly. Increase cooking time to about 45 minutes if chilled from fridge.