From Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
Enjoy these with your favorite soup or chili. Microwave or toast to bring back the “just-cooked” taste and texture. For variation, substitute a jalapeno cheese and cilantro, some bits of ham or spicy gluten-free sausage, basil and some chopped artichokes.
Make and freeze in advance for your Super Bowl party.
Makes 6 muffin tops (mini focaccia size)
- 1 cup Oonagh’s Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ c fresh, shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ c shredded Swiss or mozzarella cheese. Using parmesan and mozzarella gives a lovely, gooey interior, using parmesan and Swiss gives a moist but not gooey, stronger cheese-flavored bread.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk, ordinary milk or yogurt
- ¼ cup green part of green onions, finely scissored.
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Italian seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin top pan with spray.
2. Stir together flour mix, almond meal, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum and cheeses in a large bowl.
3. Stir together eggs, oil or butter and milk.
4. Stir wet mix into dry mix and stir well until no dry bits remain. The mix will seem very wet. Wait a few minutes and the mix will thicken.
5. Spray a ¼ cup measure with gluten-free cooking spray and use it to scoop batter into pans. Smooth batter with wet fingers. Sprinkle sesame seeds and poppy seeds on top for a bit of crunch and interest. You can also sprinkle Italian seasoning on top (or even top with caramelized onions).
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Muffin tops will rise, but won’t really dome like a regular muffin. They should be deep golden brown underneath and light gold on top. Rotate pan after 10 minutes for even baking. Once cooked, remove muffins from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then remove to a cooling rack. If you leave muffin tops in the pan for too long, the bases will retain steam and go soft. The bottom crust will have a nice crispy edge if you remove it and let them cool.