From Annette Marie of Best Life Gluten-Free
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ large yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 medium-sized carrots, peeled, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 2 celery stalks, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- Several small mushrooms, cleaned, then sliced
- 1 large Idaho potato
- 1 cup green beans, washed, tips cut off and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 15 oz. can Cannellini beans
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. parsley
- 1 large (or 2 small) bay leaf (This will be removed before serving)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup small gluten-free pasta
- On a cutting board, prepare all of the veggies and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil and melt the butter.
- Sauté the onion and garlic. Don’t brown, just “sweat” them till onion is translucent.
- Add the carrots and celery. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the mushroom slices, and green beans. Stir to combine.
- Add the tomato sauce and water. Season with the spices and stir well.
- Cook, with cover on pot, & simmer on low-medium heat for 30 -35 minutes.
- While this is simmering, boil water in another pot and cook the pasta in salted water until “al-dente."
- After cooking the soup for 30-35 minutes, add the potatoes and cook only until they are tender. Cover the pot again while the potatoes cook.
- Add the beans and combine well. Heat through with cover on for about four minutes. Shut heat at this point and wait for pasta to be done as directed above.
- Drain pasta, add to soup and stir well. Serve immediately. Add some grated Italian cheese on top if you like.