Sophie is 7-years-old and has celiac disease.
Sophie found out she has celiac disease when she was very young, so she knows a lot! Find out how she stays energized while running around and what her all-time favorite restaurants are.
1. At what age were you diagnosed with celiac disease? What were some of your symptoms?
I was 20 months old. I do not remember what my symptoms were. My parents know. (According to Sophie's parents: “Sophie's symptoms began at 18 months and included vomiting; she stopped walking due to muscle and bone pain, muscle wasting, bloated belly.”)
2. How do you stay energized when running around at school and during the summer months?
Drink lots of water.
3. What is your favorite gluten-free food to make for yourself?
4. Do you have a favorite gluten-free restaurant that you enjoy going to with your family?
Giorgios on Pine, Yapple Yogurt, La Fontana, Du Jour in Haverford, PA, Five Guys, Chick-Fil-A, Elevation Burger, and Maggiano's.
5. What do you tell your school teachers about celiac?
My parents have been speaking with my teachers and counselors for me. I have my own snacks in the classroom, which are kept in a plastic bin.
6. What advice would you give to a child who had just been diagnosed with celiac disease?
You can still go to restaurants and go on vacations. Check the labels on all the bags (and products) that you eat.