From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 1 cup Oonagh’s Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2/3 cup gluten-free cornstarch
- 1/4 cup buttermilk powder
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 4 oz, 1 stick hard butter from the fridge - cut into 1 tbsp slices.
- ½ cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract (essence)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together Oonagh’s Gluten-Free Flour Mix, almond meal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk powder, salt, sugar and xanthan gum. Put all ingredients in a food processor and quickly pulse to mix.
- Add cold butter and pulse until pea size pieces of butter are throughout the dry mix. Using cold, hard butter makes for a flakier scone. If you don’t have a food processor, then grate hard butter into dry mix in bowl using the large holes on a box grater and stir butter into mix without melting butter from heat of your hands.
- Whisk eggs in a 4 cup bowl until fluffy (about 1 minute) then whisk in cream and vanilla.
- Stir dry mix into wet mix and mix until it comes together like a wet dough/paste. This is not a dough that can be kneaded or rolled out like regular scone dough. Depending on how carefully you measured wet and dry ingredients, the dough should be quite wet but will thicken in a minute or two because of baking powder and xanthan gum.
- Either a) spoon into greased texas muffin cups or regular muffin cups, or b), spoon and spread into 9” pie plate or cake pan and then roughly mark up into 8 sections. This 'dough' spreads if you try and bake it flat on a baking sheet. To get height it needs to be baked in a container.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes for large scones or pie plate. Adjust cooking time as needed and be sure to start checking the scones about 75% of the way through cooking.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool (otherwise they will fall apart when you cut them), then serve with jam and sweetened whipped cream, strawberries and cream or lemon curd and cream.
- For homemade cream, whip 1 cup of heavy or whipping cream with 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Slice and sugar strawberries so they produce juice, then pour juice over each half of scone, top with strawberries and sweetened whipped cream for total indulgence.