From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 2 lb. of low fat, plain Greek yogurt - drained (Draining instructions are below. Yogurt must be drained 24 hours in advance of preparing the recipe.)
- Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. of salt – to your taste
- Good grinding of fresh pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped green of green onion or chives
- Fresh celery leaves from a bunch of celery, finely chopped.
- Spoon yogurt into at least 3 coffee filters.
- Place the yogurt and coffee filters in a colander and place a plate on top that fits inside the colander to press down on the yogurt.
- Then, place something that weighs about 3 lbs. on top of the plate (a few soup cans will work).
- Rest colander on the rim of an 8 cup bowl and leave to drain for 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Mix all ingredients together, taste and adjust seasoning. Refrigerate and use instead of cream cheese on bagels, as a dip with vegetables, scoop into tiny balls and place on salad, stirred into recipes in place of cream. Add cooked salad shrimp to make a dip.
Tip from Oonagh: Think of adding different herbs, chopped vegetables etc. to each of the drained coffee filters. You can try these combinations of ingredients as well to change up the flavor of the yogurt cheese:
- Cilantro with roasted red pepper and hot chili
- Basil and chopped sun dried tomato
- Lemon thyme, basil, artichokes, add oregano and/or mint
- Lots more honey, cinnamon, chopped nuts and raisins
- Chopped fresh spinach and chopped cooked bacon