Recipe of the Week - November 30, 2015
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower Salad
Courtesy of NFCA Blogger Ambassador Jackie Ourman of Celiac and Allergy-Friendly Epicurean (C.A.F.E.)
Prep time: 25 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. honey
- 1 small shallot, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt (at least ½ tsp.) and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of 1 to 1½ " cauliflower florets, pulsed in food processor 6-8 times or shredded on large holes of box grater (I used yellow, green and white but you can use any color)
- 12 oz. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded in food processor, using slicing blade, or sliced thinly with knife
- ½ cup aged Gouda cheese, finely shredded (you can use pecorino if you can't find aged Gouda)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 pink lady or honey crisp apple, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup chopped roasted, salted almonds
- Place all ingredients in a ball jar or sealed container and shake vigorously until emulsified. Set aside while you prepare other ingredients so sliced shallots can marinate in the vinaigrette, at least 20 minutes.
- Toss Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, aged Gouda and dried cherries together. Add sliced apple and toss with vinaigrette, to taste (you may not use all of it). Top with almonds just before serving.
Tip: You can prepare all ingredients of this salad one day ahead, except the sliced apple. Toss together with dressing and top with almonds just before serving.